So sorry for the delay in updating the blog! The past few weeks have been a whirlwind! I am going to update on Sundays with new pictures and what the week has entailed for the Compton family! Here is what has been going on...
Jace was born Monday, October 4. I was actually scheduled for an induction and came into the hospital Sunday evening at 6 pm. I was contracting on my own, so they waited until midnight to start the cytotek and 5 am to start the Pitocin. 8 minutes after the Pitocin was started, Jace's heart rate dropped and nurses rushed into my room. They gave me a shot to reverse the effects of the Pitocin, put me on oxygen, and flipped me from side to side to get his heart rate back up to normal. They decided to place an internal heart monitor (which attached to Jace's head) to get a more accurate reading. After a call to the doctor and an hour later, they started the Pitocin again. Jace tolerated it much better this time, my water broke on it's own and my labor progressed.
At noon, I was dilated to a 6-7 and the anesthesiologist (my favorite person in the world at the time) to put in my epidural. I felt better instantly! The nurse sent everyone to get some lunch and told Derek and I to take a nap. I had nearly fallen asleep, when five nurses came rushing in my room. The monitor was not showing Jace's heart rate at all. They put me on oxygen once again and flipped me from side to side, but his heart rate was not improving. After suspecting my placenta had ruptured due to the amount of blood I was loosing, they threw scrubs at Derek to put on and rushed me to the O.R. for an emergency c-section. My doctor was in surgery at the time, so another doctor from the practice ran over from the office on the other side of the hospital and began my surgery. My doctor was able to make it about half-way through , so I actually had two doctors performing the surgery! Thankfully, Derek was able to come in the O.R. right as surgery began. Jace was born a short 7 minutes later! Derek cut the cord and took pictures while Jace was being checked over. He weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 20 inches long. I remember hearing him cry for the first time and being overwhemed with relief and joy knowing he was okay.
Two days later, Jace was admitted into the NICU for low blood sugar where he was also treated for Jaundice. We all came home Saturday afternoon to a beautifully decorated apartment! Both sets of grandparents came over and we had a delicious family dinner!
Since then, we have been testing our skills at parenting! I think we have finally figured out some of the basics...diaper changes, nursing, baths and definitely loving our little boy! We are still working on a sleep routine/schedule!!! Jace has gained his birth weight back...and then some! He is doing extremely well and we don't have to see the pediatrician until his next well baby appointment in December!
Jace loves his baths, sleeping in the car, swinging in his swing, cuddling with anyone who holds him and surprising mom and dad with a golden shower during diaper changes!!! He is not a fan of getting the hiccups, having his diaper changed or having lotion applied.
Daddy went back to work this week, and we miss him lots while he is gone. It was so wonderful to have him at home for the past three weeks. He has been truly amazing and I can't imagine life without him. I am so thankful for our healthy little boy. We have been blessed in so many ways...from family and friends visiting and helping to having exceptional nurses and doctors at the hospital to care for Jace and I. Thank you all for your well wishes, prayers and love.
I will update again on Sunday with pictures of Jace in his Halloween costume!!!
Love you all! XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment